If you are looking to improve the curb appeal of your home or simply want to update the look of your garage, one of the best ways to do so is by choosing a new garage door. Garage doors come in a variety of styles, materials and price points, so it is important to select the door that is right for your needs and budget. In this article, we will discuss some of the garage door design factors you should consider when shopping for a new garage door.
Choose a Door Style
The first thing you need to decide is what style of garage door you would like. When it comes to garage door types, there are three categories to consider: rolling, sectional and tilt-up. Rolling garage doors are the most common type and are made up of several sections that roll up on tracks. Sectional garage doors are similar to rolling doors, but they do not roll up on tracks. Instead, they open and close by being lifted or lowered on hinges. Tilt-up garage doors are the simplest type of door and are made of one piece that tilts up and back to open.
Select a Garage Door Material
If you’re in the market for a new garage door, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is what material to choose. Garage doors are available in a variety of materials, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the most popular options:
- Wood: Wood is a classic choice for garage doors, and it can give your home a traditional look. Wood is also a strong material, so it can withstand a lot of wear and tear. However, wood is also susceptible to weather damage, so it may not be the best choice if you live in an area with extreme temperatures or precipitation.
- Steel: Steel is one of the most popular materials for garage doors because it’s strong and durable. Steel garage doors can also be insulated to keep your garage warm in the winter and cool in the summer. However, steel doors can be susceptible to rusting if they’re not properly maintained.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is a lightweight alternative to steel that won’t rust. Aluminum garage doors are also available in a variety of colors, so you can find one that complements your home’s exterior. However, aluminum doors can dent more easily than other materials, so they may require more frequent maintenance.
- Composite: Composite doors are made of several different materials bonded together, so they offer the benefits of each material. Composite doors are often strong and durable, and they won’t rust or dent like some other materials. However, composite doors can be more expensive than other options.
Decide on a Door Finish
After you have chosen a garage door material, you will need to choose a finish for your new garage door in Bakersfield, CA. Many homeowners opt for painted doors, but you can also find doors made of wood, steel, aluminum or composite materials that are left unfinished. You can also add windows to your garage door to let in natural light.
Decide on a Budget
Finally, decide on a budget for your new garage door. Garage doors range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, so it is important to set a realistic budget before shopping.
- Determine the size of door you need: The size of your garage door will affect the price, so it’s important to know what size door you need before you start shopping around.
- Don’t forget to factor in garage door installation costs in Bakersfield: Installation costs can vary depending on the type of garage door you select, so be sure to get a few estimates before making your final decision.
- Get the most bang for your buck: Don’t sacrifice quality for price when it comes to your new garage door — be sure to shop around and compare prices before making your purchase.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to find the perfect garage door for your home without breaking the bank. Contact Kern Door Company in Bakersfield, CA, today to schedule a free garage door consultation and to learn about your custom garage door options!